Thursday, April 9, 2009

Slice of Life @ Madurai

The road was less frequented at that early hour but the activity was picking up by the minute.I would have on a normal visit would have taken a city bus, which are a way of life over here .
Or I could hire an auto , slugg it out with them ,bargain for 10 or 5 Rs ,not that it wasn't affordable but for the sheer fun of bargaining,considering I had only 20 bucks left.
As i was working the cost out in the head , a young kid walked up to me with a few books in hand.
It was 7 in the morning and she was already at work , persuading people to buy some books from her. I was skeptical at first , for the books were all for kids , short stories on Thenali Raman and poems by Subramania Bharthi , a renowned poet and considering the fact that my sis wasn't home, I at 24 would be the youngest at home at present.
On noticing my indecisiveness , the little one said that I might be a bit old for those books but it would help her to have a decent break fast . And as I skimmed through the books ,she even helped me out by suggesting a better one when I made a ridiculous choice. I happily boought it.

As I waited there , watching her sell books to other people ,I couldn't stop thinking about her gesture of offering me which she thought was a better book for me than just let me choose a random one .
Well that's Madurai for me , the city which finds its own new way to leave me amazed each time.

No comments: